Tuesday, November 07, 2006





I thought you might find these pictures of Fleyenhof (Hubertus' stable) interesting. Hubertus grew up in the village of Etteln and has lived here all of his life. His parents built the stable in the early 70's and Hubertus completed his Bereiter training and came home to work at his family's stable. There are about 50 horses on the property now, with some of the boarders having been here over 25 years. The village of Etteln is very proud of their favorite son, over 1000 people greeted him when he returned home from the Olympics in Athens. Not all of the horses here have Olympic aspirations, but Hubertus and his wife of 25 years, Doris, feel like they are family and don't have the heart to downsize the stable to only International Dressage Horses. You are just as likely to see Hubertus on a tractor dragging the arena as riding a horse with a price tag of 1 million euros. In fact, when I arrived at 11:00p.m., he was the one who helped me unload my horses and equipment. He handwalked one horse and I did the other before we settled in the first night. It is so refreshing to meet a man with so much talent as a rider and a teacher that is truly a nice and genuine person that really cares about his horses and loves what he does. He would have to in order to keep up his daily routine. He is in Australia this week doing a clinic and will return to work with us next Monday.
The girl on the chestnut horse is Anna-Katherine, a bereiter here hacking Wansuela Suerte, Hebertus' World Championship mount.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline Whitmore said...

Nancy, I am enjoying your blog very much! I know that you are truly in your element and you are shining brightly every day. Thank you for sharing your experiences and your beautiful pictures!

Much love,
Jackie
(your sister)

11:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy,

I have learned about you through your sister, Jacquline. I used to be the Executive Director at USDF! I miss the sport very much. So, I will live vicariouly through you and your blog.

I am very excited for you. Keep us posted.

Your fan in the U.S.

Robin Gifford
rgifford@alltel.net

8:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home